Thursday, February 4, 2010

My fascination to Habanero Peppers

I started using hot sauce when I was about 12 years old. The first time I ever ate an Habanero was when I was about 17 years old. My dad started growing them in our yard around then and I became fascinated with them, and how damn hot these things are. When done correctly you can use them in recipes with any meal ranging from eggs, BBQ, and seafood dishes.

I worked in the restaurant business for about 8 years (El Torito's to be exact) and 4 those years I worked in the Kitchen. I learned a lot of techniques on how to prepare dishes and most of all making salsa.

I was about 22 years old when I decided to make my first Habanero salsa. I usually always either roast or pan fry the Habanero chiles, tomatoes and onions together. I find that when you fry a chile, it pisses them off and they tend to get hotter and release more heat in your sauce.

In 2008 I entered my first ever hot sauce contest (blind contest), for this contest I made my Habanero Mango hot sauce (with lots of other secret ingredients) and out 28 entries I got 4th place. Granted 4th isn't something you rave about, but for being my first contest ever and I placed in the top 5 isn't too bad. Friends and family really love my sauce and always ask when I am making a batch so that they can get a bottle.

My goal this year is to start selling it at local farmers markets and eventually online. I have decided on to call my Sauce: Addicted, I bought the domain addictedhotsauce.com so that no one can come along and snatch it. Slowly but surely I can see it all coming together once I get a nice logo and labels made up for the bottles.....................................


That's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment